Claim Compensation For Damp and Mold in Rental Properties

Compensation For Damp and Mold

If you have suffered from damp or mould in a rental property, you may be able to claim compensation for damp and mould the damage it has caused. This can include damage to your personal possessions, loss of income and your quality of life.

If you’ve been suffering from illness as a result of the mould in your home, you could also be able to make a claim for special damages. This includes medical expenses and lost wages.

Damage to personal possessions

Mould can eat away at everything from clothing to books and CDs, turning them into musty relics that only look good in the rubbish bin. It can also affect the health of those living in a home, worsening existing respiratory conditions or triggering allergic reactions.

Mould grows when spores land in an area where there is enough moisture, the right temperature range and something to feed on. This could be insulation, paper sheathing, carpet, wood mouldings or ceiling tiles.

The damp climate in the UK, combined with an aging housing stock, is a prime breeding ground for dampness and mould. Condensation from activities such as cooking, showering and drying clothes indoors is the biggest culprit, but leaky pipes, roofs and windows can also contribute.

If you notice a mould problem in your property, you must seek expert advice to help with the problem, especially if it covers an area of at least one square metre. This is because tackling small outbreaks can be done by residents or non-specialists, but outbreaks covering more than a square metre should be dealt with by a professional. Contact expert housing disrepair solicitors for your compensation claim case.

Loss of income

If you’ve been left with damp and mould that has caused health issues, you could claim compensation. The amount of money you receive depends on how long you lived in the property and how badly it affected your quality of life.

Your compensation settlement should also include any loss of income that you have suffered because of your health problems. This includes lost wages, reduced income due to illness, and any other losses that have occurred because you live in a damp or mouldy home.

Damp and mould are common in older houses or those that have been poorly maintained. They can cause damage to your belongings and a poor quality of life.

Mould spores can be a major health risk for certain people, including those who have asthma or other respiratory issues, pregnant women and children. This is because prolonged exposure to mould can cause infections, breathing difficulties and difficulty sleeping.

Loss of quality of life

If you’re a landlord or a tenant and you think that the damp and mould in your property is causing you stress, discomfort or harm then you should be able to claim compensation. You should be awarded general damages to reimburse you for the damage and inconvenience.

You could also claim special damages if you’ve been ill because of the damp and mould. This would cover medical expenses and any other costs relating to your health such as specialist appointments.

Damp can be caused by many things including leaking pipes or a roof that has been leaking, rain seeping in around window frames and condensation (more on this below). If you’re a landlord, it is important to make sure that your building is well-insulated and ventilated to reduce the amount of moisture that gets inside the home.

Damage to your health

If you live in a damp house, you’re more likely to have respiratory problems or health conditions like allergies or asthma. This can affect your immune system and make it harder for you to fight infections.

Damp is caused by excess moisture either coming in from outside (penetrating damp / rising damp) or condensation that has formed within your property. This can lead to mould growing on walls, furniture and wood window frames.

Condensation occurs when moist air comes into contact with a colder surface such as a wall, window or mirror. Tiny drops of water appear, sometimes forming black mould.

Breathing in mould spores can trigger allergic reactions, including sneezing, a runny nose and red eyes. These reactions can become chronic if you’re exposed to mould spores for long periods of time. This can result in more severe symptoms such as a serious skin rash and asthma attacks.